Wednesday 13 December 2017

Ramblings #12 - Just Passing By


I forgot to put the tray back in.

And now the ice melts. Gone to it’s natural state. Poor me, I can’t scoop up water. Too late to save what remains. And even as I place a freshly filled tray into the fridge, I wonder.

We grow, explore and discover places. I never gained the sense of belonging, indulging the trappings of a vagabond. The mortal who saw it all, experienced it all. You couldn’t pin me down, a true cosmopolitan! And it’s been a similar affair in relationships. And maybe every bond I indulged myself in has been tainted with the same transience.

I met a multi-coloured canvas of people, painted myself with interesting experiences, tried to inform the brushstrokes of kindness and understanding – and failed too often to draw clearly what I envisioned. And now, this momentary empty tray reminds me of the fragility of those moments. I was just passing by while everyone else came and went.

I think if those ice cubes had a conscience, they might want to have stayed. To not be so easily replaceable, so ephemeral.

Maybe I might have wanted to stay as well.

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
- Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley

1 comment: