Wednesday 17 January 2018

Ramblings #13 - The Footsteps that Listen


Solitary trips are better with a tune.

On many of my unaccompanied walks from the office to my residence in Chennai, I like to listen to music. The walk is not always voluntary – being the sedentary creature I am sometimes, I do prefer more vehicular motion to guide me along but the auto service of the city isn’t that easy to come by. And it doesn’t make sense when home is so near.

So, I walk.

One of the big highlights for me in my brief corporate life has been the proximity of my place to the office, ensuring that transport is never an issue. Have legs, will travel.

The music helps. Whether it is the melancholic triumph of Passenger, the cheerful mess that is Simple Plan, the angsty drama of Linkin Park – they provide excellent company as yellow lights speed past to the oblivion of the horizon. A fleeting moment of curiosity before the sound takes over again.

They provide me an excellent catalyst for expression of the myriad feelings I encompass every day. It wasn’t always like this. Music came quite late in my life, atleast later than I would have intended. But now, it’s inseparable from me. 

A melodious soup for the soul as every footstep silently falls and I propel forward to the future, leaving the life behind in the past. And my ears feel the comfort of enclosed spaces masquerading as a doorway to something better. Or atleast something worthwhile.

Abruptly, I reach the place I was going. Or maybe this is a pit-stop? A brief interlude.


Till tomorrow, when the music continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment