Tuesday 7 November 2017

Ramblings #11 - Happiness?


The view outside my window is quite beautiful. And heartbreaking at the same time.

It is not a culmination of my life. There is much that remains, twists and turns I need to envision both in my personal and public life. But it still feels difficult. To see all this and not feel happy.

I know happiness is no commodity, otherwise I would have done anything to buy it long ago. And then there’s the trick – do you know what happiness is?

Do I?

There’s too many thoughts in my head, so many questions. I take decisions every day that I feel could make or break me. A chain reaction forms before my eyes and sometimes I am left so very helpless.

And this view? So superficial. It doesn’t help expose the storms inside my mind to a calm heart. It just exists. One day I will fade away from its sight. Nothing is eternal.

Just as I turn to throw myself into the comfort of a black fog of sleep, I hear laughter. I turn around and gaze out into the playground now bathed in the crimson light of the setting sun.

I spy a happy child playing on the swing. And a wry smile forms, breaking up my sullen skin. Maybe I don’t have to define what is happiness. I don’t think I could bear a lifetime of it anyway.

But a moment? Or two?

That is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment