Friday 22 July 2016

Ramblings #1 - Wheels of Life


Train journeys can be an intriguing affair – both in solitary and in groups. I don’t really think I have a preference but both bring out unique experiences.

Now that I’m older and paths have diverged, family outings have more than faded from my time table. They do tend to bring an air of nostalgia – playing chess with my brother on the top bunk, the exchange of dialogues across the emptiness of space as we lay in our respective ‘beds’. Sadly, memory has never been an area where I’ve been particularly strong at, so it’s more than likely that I have forgotten a lot that I should have remembered.

But as is often said, accept the past and embrace the present.  Train journeys have become more an excursion by myself since. Yes, given I have somehow managed to perpetuate the student life despite having completed quite a few years on this earth – train journeys back home with friends are something I have managed to experience even after having a school and college life that robbed me of those moments long back.

It’s so easy to steal something when you don’t realize it was there in the first place, isn’t it? The perfect robbery of possibilities.

But I digress. As the years have gone on, I’ve tried to understand how best to spend my time on a train – be it alone or with others. Alone there are those constant friends – books and battery. But I do try to go beyond that and see my surroundings, both the people who have become temporary neighbours in this small portion of my life as well as the scenery outside.


Another activity is me reflecting on my own life when in my own space. And the choices I’ve made. As I said, memory is not a strong point of mine, so it’s doubly troubling that most of what I remember are the wrong decisions I took instead of the right ones. It’s hard to focus on positivity when bright spots are blanked out – which makes a colourful present all that more needed.

Coming to the other side, a journey with friends. I have never been on a car trip so that is still an area to explore (while I’m all thumbs at bikes), but as I said – lets embrace the present first. Living 4 hours from home, I’ve had the opportunity to see what it is like to travel with friends – especially those who reside in my hometown. 


It’s been an experience of multiple shades. More often than not, late nights have conspired to lull us to sleep as soon as we hit our seats. But it’s the moments where we converse that I found can be the best portion of a journey.

It’s hard to call friendships of just a year a proper one, but then the definition has never been on length has it? Let’s just call them people I’ve grown to care about. There are some people you listen to for hours on and you never realize (and sometimes curse) when the train reaches the destined station.

Maybe that is a metaphor for life as well. You have stops you have to get off on, and you don’t want to. But then unlike a train, you can always fight to move those stops, even a little. Cause even a little can make a lot of difference to the big picture that is your life.


And the train goes on…...

No comments:

Post a Comment