Thursday 23 January 2020

Ramblings #25 - Long Distance Midnight Dreams



I stifle a dreadful yawn.

The clock strikes midnight even as my eyes find themselves collapsing under the sandman’s trance. Looking fondly at the bed ready made, I imagine myself wondering how peaceful it would be.

Knowing that I will have to wake up in just over two hours to catch a match happening half way across the world. The things one does for love.

As I prepare the bed with spectacles set aside askew, I hear a familiar tone.

You up?

A smile forms as I type back,” Yup!”

The enthusiasm is real and it elevates as she writes, “Wait, I call you.”

Scrambling for my wireless headphones, one hour later we are still going full gusto as she tells me of her week and I tell her of mine. An aversion to calls, yet there are moments when a voice finds itself beyond those thoughts and those feelings. And we find time an illusion till a glimpse drags us back to reality.

The clock strikes an ungodly hour and in dissonance with a want, I mention that sleep should be sought. Oh, if only days in cubicles could fade away into the land where our night went!

Two hours later, I finally lay in bed with dismay. The excitement for a match at two hours past midnight has given way to abject misery. The universe owes us so less – and sometimes a smile is a memory. But then, that is not the same as love.

I feel tired and even as slumber imprisons me, I realize my face holds the understanding that this heralds a late entry at office - even as it displays a frown in mock concern.

How could it not after a night that rendered itself memorable, bringing me delight and dismay!

It always will be so. Ah how wonderful, to find your heart stolen in her voice and their battles.

Always tired, but never with her.

Never with them.

From here to Manchester or to Mumbai. A heart travels faster than light when it yearns.

Funny thing - love. The more I think I run from it, the more I learn that I run towards it.......

No comments:

Post a Comment