Thursday 19 September 2019

Ramblings #22 - Of Matches and Memories in a Burnt Letter


“I burn, I shiver, out of this sun, into this shadow.”
― Virginia Woolf

It’s dark and I fiddle about in the drawer under my desk, now host to a wine glass and a untidy stack of books, with my device’s keys lighting a brief path to my hands.

And there it is – my matchbox. 240 matches. And I only have that due to a fault of change – so like me to not realize the value of something. And thus, I am deprived of something ten times what I should have been. Well, if you lose, you may as well lose big.

And gain in equal, I guess.

Those small light producing instruments and my hapless hands. That would be the story of me and matchsticks.

It’s curious how I came to possess something that was so obviously meant for me. 240 matches? Who would ever need that? Especially a figure that never did figure out the necessity to smoke (don’t worry, I die and live through my words – that is enough intoxication), the only reason it arrives is when due to lack of electricity, through design or demand, I find my motion going towards failure.
Cause why not?

The first matchstick lights almost by mistake. First try? I wish. It’s as if my brain can’t even swallow my success and before I react, the slightest breeze ensures I don’t suffer the ignominy of misunderstood victory.

Second time now then, with a bit more deliberation.

It just becomes meaningless scratches against the surface of a reluctant mascot – no cheer there. I frown at the box like a suffering player disgruntled with a passive crowd. The game continues, even if I did not wish for it.

A third one again lights up and blows out as soon as I reach for the candle. I wonder briefly about some pretentious symbolism of life before switching to another victim.

200 matches right? A lot of ways to fail. The night is still young, and so is my battered heart.
Success! Fourth times the charm!

I preen proudly as a would-be conqueror sipping my wine – before the smile vanishes in realization that the light is too weak to facilitate any reading.

Sigh.

Well, the ambiance is there. The haunting music is there. And I am there in the dark, with my swirling wine.

All alone with my roguish thoughts and dying dreams. Even after so many matches lie in wait for a sudden death.

It’s okay. We die every day. Thankfully some of us serve a purpose – my today is not one of them. Or maybe it is. Maybe I will learn one day.

Have a good week.

Not every failure would be so sweet and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment