Saturday 27 October 2018

Ramblings #17 - The Importance of Being Backseat



We all have delusions we force upon ourselves for sustenance in a day to day dreg. 

But then, there are some delusions that become habits of confidence and not survival. For if I can do it, then does it matter if I do it?

My car driving is one such interesting instance. Two wheelers have never caught my fancy, or overcome my vision of being vehicles of death’s misfortune since the day on a bicycle, I decided to part a rear window from its beloved’s mantle – that earned me rebuke and a small fortune as bribe (In those days, I was not as entitled as I have become with money since I bumbled into a job) to the help who was acting as my teacher that day and other days. Obviously teaching requires a student and since that was the last day of me being such, it was in a way a parting gift as well.

Since then, I have ever had one intention. To be a passenger, no matter which vehicle I descended upon. My fortunes were never to be trusted to me, atleast on the road. In life, it was a different matter given I feel like ‘sometimes’ I know what I am doing. While driving, I obviously did not.
That widowed car with its rear window serving as roadkill haunts me still.

I shall never commander a vehicular fancy. Maybe admire them, ride in them – but never, never shall I take those machines into my shivering untested hands, deciding to mow down the world.

And that gives me so much peace. To know it with certainty that the driving license was never for actual driving, but just because we need the delusion do we not. We do live in society after all, and just like marriage is another social delusion of competency we follow – why not driving as well?

Atleast in driving, I know I am not good at it and shouldn’t do it. Can’t say the same about married folk.

Some of them are bonkers.

So, today I will book an ola, not care much about rising fuel prices (maybe get a share if I am being wallet conscious, don’t think I will exactly be very environment conscious. We are a walking death clock as it is), plug in my playlist and just relax as I wait for the destination to arrive.

Google Maps, Passenger and a 4.8 rating? Take Me Home, Demented Roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment