Sunday 20 May 2018

Ramblings #15 - 2 AM



I look into the void and find myself staring back.

Windows are an intriguing specimen. The translucence reminds me that among the millions of lives lit up by balcony lights outside, I am one too. Lit up the same way. And I smile.

2 am is the loneliest of times when you are by yourself. But even in that loneliness, you find yourself lost in thought – a spectator floating though the cosmos like a comet that never touches the stars but sees them in the wondrous state they are.

Someone once said nothing good happens after 2 am. And here I am, standing in insomniac ecstasy, on a Saturday night, watching distant lights as they glow and simmer before giving into the solitary darkness of time. Until there is barely a flicker and it becomes my turn to draw the drapes – and retire to momentary slumber.

I sleep with unease. And in brief rhapsody as it escapes so quickly – hard earned but easily lost. Sometimes you can be too tired to sleep and every night I am reminded of it. Like a broken clock, the darkness becomes familiar in phases until the sun takes over.  

But it gives me, the spectator, time to ponder. When the only light emanating into your eyes is that of a rotating set of blades that channel the force of air to relax you. Man works in wonderful ways. And reflection is the stairway to appreciation. The lights that went out, they will come back tomorrow. Maybe in a different pattern, cause humans are anything but creatures of habit.

Even if I do have company some day in this darkness, her soft hands resting on my shoulders as we gaze into infinity – I think I am happy to be a spectator to this amazing thing called life. And as I turn back in a warm embrace, I do believe time doesn’t decide when good or bad happens.

Whether it is an afternoon sun or a crimson sunset or a solitary figure fermenting thought on a dark midnight trail – all that matters is that we keep finding ourselves and each other.

Life is all around and inside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment