Sunday 2 July 2017

Chennai Chronicles - Chapter 1: A Library of Humans


His finger slipped, and the paper turned crimson with the colour of life leaving him.

Overly dramatic right? I basically got a papercut as my first main activity on a Saturday morning. 

Didn’t help that I left my medical box back home (argument over ‘lack of space’ on airport luggage claiming another casualty) so just before I went to British Council, I dropped by the supermarket with a bleeding finger and got a band aid.

Backing up. British Council? Yeah, so today was the first day of the Human Library for the Chennai Chapter. I can honestly say I didn’t really understand the concept – but it was a trip to British Council and meeting some like-minded people that made it a fantastic destination.

My last time at British Council seems a lifetime ago. Going by the Kolkata metro to pick up an Asimov or Clarke, it was something that helped fuel the bibliophile in me. But I got distracted by the distance (laziness knows no bounds) and the small collection of books – so after a year, I decided to not renew my membership. Which was interesting cause soon after I left for Jamshedpur for my business studies.

So coming back to British Council, this time in a different city, was a new and exciting proposition. Chennai had been struggling to make me feel welcome, not least because I wasn’t exactly walking so much as crawling along – always wondering if the worth justified the effort. But today was different.
People and Books. I can find a way to love them no matter where they are from.

The Ola trip was pleasant, with a friendly driver and me re-reading The History of Love on the way. Though I do not advise trying to write, cause uneven roads are not friends of a writer’s pen or even eyes for that matter. The journey did end abruptly as we missed a turn and I got down. Navigating a small make-shift pedestrian sidewalk (due to the construction going on), I managed to make it to the road and was thankfully guided by signs to British Council.

My feeble attempts to understand the guard’s directions in Tamil aside, I somehow survived and made it in where like a lost lamb, I wandered around the place where a screen showed the Human Library will happen. Thankfully, a bibliophile friend Shweta came soon after (she was a volunteer) and helped me understand the process.

There would be 15 people who would act as ‘books’, and basically it would be a Q&A/TedEx type session where we would come to know their experiences related to a particular theme. I got a sheet containing the descriptions which ranged from philosophy to transgender issues, and decided to first go for the ‘live in relationship from an orthodox family’. Yes, yes – Avishek always goes for relationship discussions first! Have your chuckles, my friends!

But sadly, neither the book not any fellow reader was at the seat, and after some time by my lonesome I thankfully found a familiar face siting at another group location. And she was chatting with a book! So one glance at my sheet told me it was an educator, who I learnt from our discussion had left a lucrative job at Goldman Sachs and joined TeachforIndia to become a teacher for the rural children before shifting to a proper teaching role at an international school. Sarika was revelation – especially with such a wonderful nihilistic maxim as ‘I fail everyday’ twisted into a mantra for improvement and humility. The discussion was engaging and her optimism struck me as alluring. Teaching is so often considered as a by the numbers job, but if done right, can change futures of millions across the world.

With the first break, I decided to grab a bite with my fellow bibliophile friends. Having some French fries and a cafĂ© latte, I started my new book. Thoroughly satisfied with my beverage, and refreshed I went inside – only to find not a single reader seat empty.

Wandering around aimlessly (recurring theme, isn’t it?), I finally settled on the live-in guy again! Aha, right? I know you did that reader.

Sreeram was explaining how having a child in a live-in relationship is one of the most challenging aspects in Indian culture. And it was fascinating to hear his ideas regarding how men and women can love but not need a legal document to always bind them together – it sounds utopian in terms of hope, but sometimes we do need to trust in that.

Sadly, time was of the essence and like all good thing, I had to leave this book unfinished (which is a rarity for me) and then it was time for thanks and mementos.

Afterwards I went and met some of the other books, and chatted with friends – though I’m still a little barricaded because of the language issues. But with time, will learn. Not out of curiosity for the language, but because I was to truly connect with the people around me.

We did tease some members, especially the broke bibliophile Chennai chapter founder and library owner, as people who could have been excellent choices for books. Both being volunteers for this event, they did want to next time be involved as readers. While one, who I thought would have make an excellent book as well, was a little miffed that he hadn’t been shortlisted as one this time despite registering.

As for me? Well…I’m terrified of talking! But my blog is open to you, dear readers! Read this book if it pleases you.

And thus ended my first experience of a Human Library. Was interesting, I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment